Overview of German Leprosy Relief Association Rehabilitation Fund [GLRARF]
German Leprosy Relief Association Rehabilitation Fund [GLRA RF] is a society registered in Tamil Nadu, with registration number 273 of 1977 as per the society’s registration act XXI of 1860. The fund was established by the parent organization, German Leprosy & TB Relief Association [GLRA], with an objective to rehabilitate and redeem the dignity and esteem of leprosy affected persons, who were detected and treated by GLRA &supported project partners. Though the organization is registered separately and is an independent legal entiry, for all practical purposes, the GLRA RF serves as a department of GLRA India, focusingon Rehabilitation of Leprosy / TB affected persons. Since 2012, GLRARF broadened the scope of work by includinginvolve in rehabilitation of persons affected all types of disability and renewed the registration under section 52 of persons with disabilities Act 1995 with the proceedings No: 3142/ST2/2015.
• Plans, implements& monitors both Socio Economic Rehabilitation [SER] of persons affected by leprosy & Community Based Rehabilitation [CBR]for persons affected by all types of disability. We cater our services primarily through partner projects.
• Involves in developing the capacity of project partners for implementing rehabilitation activities.
• Manages a rehabilitation center &a vocational training center in Chennaipartnering with National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities [NIEPMD]
1. Socio Economic Rehabilitation [SER]Activities:
Since 1978 to 2015, 274,998 SER interventions were carried out benefitting persons from Leprosy background. Provision of Education Assistance, Vocational Training
• Guidance for Job Placement, Support for Self-Employment
• Assistance for House Construction & Renovation
• Supported Institutional Care for the old aged leprosy affected persons
2. Community Based Rehabilitation [CBR] Activities:
In 2015, GLRARF supported 17 CBR Projects to rehabilitate the persons with disabilities;using the CBR guidelines laid by World Health Organization& the GLRA’s CBR strategySixCBR projectsof large scale in coverage and implemented in 5 backward districts with the co-finance support of BMZ [German Govt.] & European Union, serves about 275,000 Persons with Disability.
• Eleven are small scale CBR projects implemented with the support of GLRA, reaching services to 2,244 persons with disabilities.
• Facilitated3 project partners to collaborate with NIEPMD to implement skill development training [5 months training] which benefits60 youths having disability.
Under the GLRA Rehabilitation Fund, a small scale industry was started towards medical rehabilitation of Persons affected by Leprosy. The unit is called as ‘PROFOMA’ – Protective Footwear Materials Unit, which manufactures and supplies Microcellular Rubber Sheets (MCR), which are essential for the shoes and chappals of Leprosy affected persons. The factory is located in Kanjikode, Palakad district, Kerala but controlled and governed by the Board of GLRA Rehabilitation Fund and under the overall umbrella og GLRA India.